SEARCH THIS BLOG

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

ONCOLOGY APPOINTMENT TODAY - 6TH MONTH CHECKUP

It was a year ago today that I had my first biopsy and my left tonsil removed.  What a year it has been.

My Oncologist is very pleased with my recovery - even though he admitted it has been slow in coming.  Six months out of treatment and my voice is still hoarse and I still have some edema in my throat.  It is also still a bit red and a little sore when I swallow food.  I am eating a lot of different foods and my taste is improving as well as my smell.  Still having a lot of mucus but that is also improving.

Saw my ENT last month and was scoped.  He said all looked good with just some edema.
.
Tomorrow I will have my 6 month scan.  It will not be a PET scan but a CAT scan without contrast.  Oncologist told me that the insurance will not pay for a PET unless there is cause for concern.  I'll know the results in 3 days.

I have been eating a lot of ice cream as it is the only thing that tastes good and feels good in my throat.  Other foods are not really enjoyable but I force them down with coke.  Because I have no saliva I still can't eat meat or bread.  Very hard to eat potatoes even drinking coke with every bite.

I am maintaining my new weight of 140 pounds.  I get on the scale every day and if I see any gain I cut back on the ice cream.  I will NOT gain that 30 pounds I lost back.  I like the way my clothes fit now.

I am back on all of the meds I was on prior to my illness.  Taking blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, and meds for diabetes.   Now that I'm eating again all these things have resumed their high unhealthy levels.

I'm feeling pretty good these days.  Looking forward to a good 2018.

2 comments:

  1. We have been watching for an update; were worrying that a month had passed with no posts! Glad to hear things are going well. Soon you will be able to eat more and more things, and that part of your life will improve.

    Gary is completely over his squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue, but still chomps it accidentally from time to time, and that hurts a lot! He just had his second follow-up appointment and a PET scan, and all is well so far. Will be seen every six weeks for a year.

    Hang in there; we are rooting for you!!!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie and Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes. Glad to hear about his clear PET scan.

      Delete