SEARCH THIS BLOG

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

BROTHER'S APPOINTMENT WITH ORAL SURGEON

Met my brother at the surgeon's office today for his dental evaluation.  Gave him the protein drinks I purchased for him as well as a print out of an outline I typed up showing the dates of all of my procedures and recovery from my cancer journey.  This will show him the time frame of my recovery which he has asked questions about. 

The surgeon examined his teeth and gums and advised him on the best way to approach the situation.  After a time my brother decided it best to have all of remaining teeth pulled.  He asked questions concerning the blood thinner he is taking for his AFib and the surgeon said he would talk with his cardiologist about this.

The doctor informed him that he will not be getting dental plates until after his cancer treatment is complete as it will be very uncomfortable to get used to his new teeth while going through chemo and radiation.

My brother is concerned about being able to eat but was reminded that he will have a stomach tube for use when he can no longer swallow.  Before that he will just have to eat soft foods and protein drinks.

When we got to the front desk to check out he was informed about the cost and how much the insurance would cover.  He will have to pay $2000 out of pocket as his share of the cost.  They gave him a tentative appointment for August 12th.

It was a rough day for him and I came home in really a sad mood.  

Next stop is surgery for placement of the PEG tube and Port in 3 days.  He is currently off of his blood thinner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment