SEARCH THIS BLOG

Friday, November 15, 2019

BROTHER'S FIRST DRINK OF WATER

Transported my brother yesterday to his infusion appointment and Radiology Oncologist appointment.  His doctor looked at his throat and allowed me to look on as well.  His throat was full of mucous which made it hard to see the throat.  The doctor wanted to scope him but decided not to due to his thrush.

The doctor stressed the need for him to begin drinking water.  My brother has refused to ingest anything by mouth.  I have stressed to him the need for sips of water often.

He also had a visit with his dietician who stressed the need for him to begin drinking fluids by mouth.  He informed her that he does not drink anything as it nauseates him and gags him.

I tried to explain to him that things will improve - but slowly.  He is running out of patience and I can understand that.  However, I feel that he needs to take more responsibility for his recovery.

He is now scheduled for only one infusion a week and he is afraid that it won't be enough.  We all feel that he needs to start hydrating himself at home and not rely on the infusions.

So this morning I received a text from him stating that he drank 3 sips of water last night and did not gag.  He expressed fear that it might go down the wrong way.  I explained to him that he would choke and cough if it did.  He said that it didn't.  He wanted to know if he should try some soup now.  I said he could try some warm soup broth but nothing else till he has the Swallow Study.  They will then tell him what he can ingest by mouth.  

Told him to sip water all during the day to help train his throat muscles again.  I hope he does this.
   



    












1 comment: