SEARCH THIS BLOG

Thursday, February 23, 2023

WARFARIN BLOOD CHECK NUMBER 2

 Had my second visit with my Warfarin Team at the Cardiac Clinic today.  I will have to go every week for a finger stick to check my blood levels for the blood thinner I'm taking for A-Fib.  My number last week was a baseline number of 1.0.  Today's level was 2.5 - right where it is supposed to be.  I need to keep it at 2.0-3.0.  After 3 months I will be able to bring the testing machine home and check it myself and call it in to the clinic.  

There are so many foods that I can not eat due to the high vitamin K content which hinders the blood thinner from doing its job.  So no leafy greens which is full of vitamin K.  The total amount of vitamin K I can have in a day is 80 micrograms.    A cup of spinach contains 988 micrograms.   A cup of boiled cabbage contains 163 micrograms.   A cup of brocoli contains 220 micrograms.   I'm having a hard time finding the right foods to eat.  I'm not a meat eater so need to get some protein from mainly fish and seafood.

This blood thinner is the second one I have tried and not having any reactions to it.  The first one made me very dizzy and unstable.  Haven't had an irregular heartbeat in 3 days.  Haven't felt this good for the last 3 months.  I hope this lasts.


No comments:

Post a Comment