SEARCH THIS BLOG

Friday, September 8, 2017

22 DAYS SINCE MY LAST TREATMENT

For the first time, I did not hydrate or medicate during the night.  This morning my throat was so dry that it made a funny noise when I tried to swallow.  I had nothing to swallow but tried anyway.  

So I hurried downstairs to begin my morning regimen.  Brushed my teeth with special fluoride toothpaste, scraped my tongue, Magic Mouth Wash gargle, Nystatin swish and spit for thrush, Xanax, Hydrocodone, and 2 ounces of Glucerna protein drink with 2 ounces of water to flush tube before and after.  I felt much better a while later.

There are times during the day when I actually feel saliva on my tongue.  I'm terrified to try to eat anything but I am hungry most of the time.  The protein drink helps with the hunger pangs but only for an hour or two.  My tongue is in no shape for tasting anything and my ability to smell things as they should smell is still off.  Lots of things stink that shouldn't stink.   

If I could just go a week or so without choking on sips of water I would try some soup but don't think it's time yet.  I've read that some survivors didn't start eating for months after their last treatment.  Everyone is different.  It's only been 22 days since my last treatment.

Today I ingested through my PEG tube 890 calories, 50 grams of protein, and 16 ounces of water.




No comments:

Post a Comment