SEARCH THIS BLOG

Monday, September 18, 2017

SUPPORT GROUP MEETING

Attended my first Cancer Support Group meeting tonight.  There were about 15 members in attendance.  Some members brought their caregivers.  One lady brought cookies and another brought bottled water.  The cookies looked so good but I knew I couldn't eat any.  

The group facilitator was a social worker named Keith.  He gave an introduction on sibling positioning in the family and their reactions to the cancer patient's condition and need for support.  He then went around the table and asked how it pertained to each of us.

I said that I was always the rock with my family and friends.  I was the strong personality and caregiver - having cared for both of my parents who died of cancer and a husband who died in my home.   Having spent 20 years as a counselor I cared for many people with different types of problems.  However, now that I need a rock, I'm finding few.  I shed a few tears as I told my story and received support from the group.

Other members spoke of their need for keeping in touch with family.  How important a phone call or a text message is when the cancer patient is in need of reassurance.  Some members explained how their children became more distant and this made them sad to lose contact with their loved ones.  Keith explained that sometimes the children are not equipped with handling this type of situation.  They feel helpless that they can't do anything about it so don't want to talk about it.   

The meeting lasted 2 hours and I felt good when I left the room after the meeting was over.  I felt light hearted and proud of myself for attending.

Today I ingested 1282 calories, 88 grams of protein, and 10 ounces of water.


3 comments:

  1. Glad you found a support group. Think it is really important to know that someone else feels your pain. I guess it is really hard for some to accept that a loved one is the same on the inside of the brain, even if cancer is changing their life on the outside.

    Life is just different from before the cancer made its appearance. Hopefully you will find as many wonderful things to do as you heal as you were doing before your diagnosis. Your pups await better days to share with you!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have plans to take the doggies on a camping trip in November. I'm hoping I can be eating food by then. I think about it every day and can't wait to see the ocean once again.

      Delete
  2. Crossing my fingers for you that this will happen, and you will have a spectacular time! ;->

    ReplyDelete