SEARCH THIS BLOG

Thursday, September 21, 2017

SWALLOW STUDY

Arrived at the Radiology Department of the hospital today for a Swallow Study to see if I am aspirating into my lungs.  The samples of food they had prepared for me ranged from water to pudding.  They asked if I was willing to try meat and I refused.  

I didn't choke on any of these items.  I was asked to take larger amounts into my mouth which made it hard for me to swallow but I did it.  They were watching my x-ray image on a monitor in another room.  

When it was over the technician explained that the food I swallow tries to go down my windpipe but then pops back up.  She said that she thought the results would be worse than what she saw.  It's not good but it's not that bad.

She gave me some hand outs of guidelines to follow for swallowing as well as what thickening agents I need to use in the liquids I swallow.  I am to only swallow Nectar-like Liquids for now.   I am to follow a Puree Diet.  I will continue to use the PEG tube for nutrition. 

She will send my doctor her report.  She is recommending Speech Therapy.

I ingested through my PEG tube 1272 calories, 87 grams of protein, and l6 ounces of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment