SEARCH THIS BLOG

Saturday, September 2, 2017

CHANGES IN MY THROAT

Today I ingested through the PEG tube 890 calories, 50 grams of protein, and 11 ounces of water.  Am taking more sips of water and have not choked today.  

However, my throat is feeling different.  Don't know how to explain it.  I gargled with salt and baking soda this morning and for the rest of the day I felt that my throat was coated with the baking soda and it felt like it was burned.  I tried gargling with just water but that didn't help.  I thought maybe I used too much baking soda so I will stay off of that and just use my Magic Mouth Wash to gargle with from now on.  

Tonight I brushed my teeth and tongue and gargled with warm water and did feel some relief.  This new feeling also makes it feel as though my throat is closing up some.  Hopefully it is just swelling and will go down in the days to come.  I sure hope so.  I have read stories from survivors how they had to have surgery to open their esophagus due to damage from radiation therapy.  I'm so fearful that this will happen to me.  

I know how important it is to keep swallowing sips of water and soon to begin to swallow soft foods and soups.  But I can't imagine doing that right now.  It's so scary to swallow water which at times goes the wrong way and I choke.   And of course to add to all of this is the fact that I am going through this alone.  Sure wish I had someone to stay here with me for a few weeks.  

My neighbors check on me now and then but it's not the same as having someone here with me.  If I choke really bad there will be no time to get them to come over and help me to get medical attention.  That fear I have is probably preventing me from getting more progressive with my recovery.  No one should have to go through this horrible process alone.


2 comments:

  1. Is there a support group associated with your clinic? Perhaps if there are weekly meetings to help with problems, you might find some solution for someone to come visit with you now and then. Is there an American Cancer Society in your town? You could call them.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete