SEARCH THIS BLOG

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

NINTH TREATMENT TODAY

Woke up this morning with a big glob of mucus in my mouth.  I read about this happening and now know how it feels.  Can't swallow it.  I tried to spit it out but it sticks to your mouth.  I brushed my teeth and scraped my tongue but there was still some further down in my throat.  I then used the salt, baking soda, and water swish and this helped a little because it made me gag and cough and spit it out.  Now I know why some folks use a suction machine.  The mucus came and went all day today.

Got my second meals on wheels lunch today but couldn't eat much of it.  My taste is changing and foods are starting to taste bland and stick to my teeth as I have little saliva.

My nurse friend Ann came over today to fix my leaking PEG tube adapter.  It took just a few minutes and it was done.  The adapter only cost me $12.00 on the Internet.  The Gastro Office would not offer to replace it for me even though I asked for assistance in this matter.  

If a patient does not do their own research they are screwed.  My sympathies go out to the elderly who have no family and no one to advise them of the issues that can and will arise from all of this treatment and results of the treatment on our sick bodies.   How sad.

Met with the Dietician today and she is concerned about my weight loss.  She feels that I am loosing a pound a day and that she would want me to gain that weight back with the protein drinks she suggested.  I will have to drink about 3 drinks a day along with the foods I am eating.  She asked if I was taking anything for nausea and I explained that the Oncologist said the nausea was not from the radiation treatments.  We both know that it is.  She gave me some coupons for discounts on these protein drinks which can be expensive for the diabetic ones.  I drank one when I got home and it made me even more nauseous.   

The good news of the day for me was when I was told by Sarah at the Cancer Center that I had been approved for financial assistance at 100%.  What a relief.  I won't have to pay for any of my radiation treatments.  The adjoining hospital is also trying to get assistance for me to help pay for their costs.  This is such good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment