SEARCH THIS BLOG

Monday, July 3, 2017

THIRD TREATMENT TODAY

This morning I was still suffering from pain in my rectum as well as bleeding.  I got online to search for something to apply externally.  Found something called Anorectal Cream with Lidocaine.  Also bought some medicated wipes at Walgreens.  The cream is expensive at $24 for a small tube but well worth it.  My pain now is minimal and I had a normal bowel movement today.  Still painful to do but not like before.  Then I clean up and apply more cream.  It is hard to sit in a chair and I spend most of my time lying on the sofa or in bed.  

My brother drove me to my 3rd treatment today.  I told the nurse about my bowel obstruction and she immediately said that was not from the radiation.  I find that strange as I read on various cancer survivor sites that radiation can cause constipation.   

I also met with my Oncologist who said we will meet every Monday then later on will meet twice a week.  He looked at my throat briefly.  I told him about the bowel obstruction and pain I have had in the last 4 days.  I told him it was  probably from the pain meds I had been on from the PEG tube surgery.  He said that may cause me problems later on down the road when I will experience much pain and will need lots of pain meds.  He said to continue to take stool softeners daily and mentioned Senokot which is what I am taking.

I then told him about the mild nausea and headaches that come and go and he said that was not from the radiation.  How can he generalize that everyone experiences reactions the same way?  I didn't argue with him but there are many stories online of cancer patients who experience nausea from the first treatment.

I had other questions but he referred me to the dietician who I will be seeing on Wednesday.  He gave me a script for Hydrocortisone cream 2.5% for my neck.  That was it.  A very brief meeting.  I am not comfortable with this doctor.  He has this habit of offering his hand to me for a handshake when he wants to end the session.  He did it 3 times today but I kept asking questions.  He did the same thing on our last meeting.  He seems unconcerned and I don't like him.  


2 comments:

  1. Linda - In the beginning, Gary had a lot of trouble with bowel movements, much as you are describing. He found some relief with the Tucks-type wipes, with the occasional application of Preparation H. We carried the foil-wrapped Tucks with us everywhere so that he could avail himself of the relief without having to wait until we got home. I had a supply of all the necessary things in a small case I carried in the car whenever we went anywhere at all.

    Over the years, he has settled into a routine of Metamucil and two stool softeners every night. He drops down to one stool softener per night at the times he is off the cancer meds.

    The Metamucil was a surprise, and was recommended by the surgeon who dealt with the hemorrhoids that the constipation had engendered. This has worked well now for about two years, and the pain and hemorrhoids have become a thing of the past.

    There are two food supplements that are very good for "keeping the mail moving", and they are chia seeds and flaxseed meal. Not only are they not chemicals, but they have inherent food values of their own. Might be worth a try.

    I agree that it is more likely it is the pain medications, rather than the radiation, that is causing the "binding" effect on your bowels.

    You are probably keeping some sort of journal, but if not, you might want to start one because the information therein can be very helpful in finding cause and effect from different actions or intake of different foods/medications.

    We continue to hold you in our thoughts.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judie, I am much healed from that obstruction and feeling better. I will continue taking Senokot daily and use the wonderful cream with Lidocaine I found at Walgreen's. I will also drink a little prune juice and eat raisins as a snack that will also help. I can't have seeds as I have Diverticulosis. My Cancer Diary Blog is where I write all things I need to remember. I also have a folder for info on what to use for what ailment that will show up as I progress through treatment. This incident just snuck up on me but I feel that I am now prepared for what else might come. Thanks for the input.

      Delete